Monday, January 27, 2014

Dallas Notes: Lyfe videos (Bible Society, Uploaded October 2010)

Dallas Willard Lyfe (Bible Society) videos (playlist)

(Uploaded October 2010)

Whole Lyfe

The place of the KoG is in everyday life
Jesus’ life before ministry was not a waste and tells us something about our lives.
We invite Jesus to be with us in what we’re doing
Expect His presence with you. Count on it so you don’t have to make everything happen.


Extra: the sacred / secular divide

People think of ‘secular’ as running w/o God
The only thing God is not involved in is sin
When you turn your life to God, everything becomes His
Col 3.1-17
In the name: on His behalf and with His resources
If we think in terms of sacred and secular, sometimes we want a vacation from God
In the K we move toward a place where we don’t need to get away from God b/c we’re not wanting to do something we think He might not approve of
God wants to bring your individuality to fullness


Extra: sleeping like Jesus

Jesus was relaxed and we can be, too
We do our best, but we don’t trust our best
He was asleep in the boat during the storm
We are learning from Him to live our life in the KoG as He would live our life if he were we
Can I imagine Jesus doing my job?


Extra: fasting

I use fasting and Scripture memorization the most
Fasting teaches us about the sufficiency of God to us when we are deprived
I practice regularly through the week, especially if I’m in ministry
Then I have periods where I will abstain from food for up to three days just to reacclimatize myself to the provision of God for my body
If I’m in a period of intense ministry and I find myself getting exhausted, I know to fast b/c the renewal of the energy that comes from God is the way that I overcome exhaustion in ministry
Fasting is fundamentally the affirmation of the world of God
God’s Word is a substance we receive [especially] in fasting


Extra: being with God wherever you are)

Take God in all the places you’re going to be
Make the Word of God and prayer and speaking about God a part of your ordinary conversation


Extra: letting your light shine

People observe your work and you doing it and realize it’s not simply you and your ability
Let your light so shine…
Most of us spend most of our time working, so it needs to happen there, especially
A major part of what it looks like is the different spirit in which you do your work


Extra: the contemporary Jesus

We have to see Jesus as someone who could live in our contemporary context
Who’s the smartest person in your field?
Jesus was not a victim of the crucifixion. It was His choice.
Col 2: In Him is all wisdom and knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment